Friday, July 11, 2008

Dreaming

I do some of my best dreaming while riding the lawn mower.... Nope, I'm not sleeping, just day dreaming. I don't know what it is about the lawn mower. Maybe it's the fact that I can see the entire house, yard and landscaping. Whatever causes it, I enjoy it immensely!

Today as I was mowing the lawn, I looked at the swing set we will replace, and the neighbor's trees hanging low onto our yard. (We should have had our friends cut those before the new neighbors moved in). I notice the beautiful green of the Leyland cypress trees and how pretty the crape myrtle is set against that back drop. I dream of planting Leyland cypress all along the property line of the new neighbors fence, giving us a sound buffer, and a privacy screen. (Not to mention saving the wiffle balls and tennis balls from heading over their fence, never to be seen again).

Today I dreamt of a lush green grass with no weeds, and no bare spots whatsoever. The kind of grass that our neighborhood minor league baseball team would enjoy playing on! I dreamt of a swing set rebuilt with a beautiful stain finish setting slightly closer to the house, so it doesn't interfere with the aforementioned baseball games.

I notice the the back deck/patio and I dream of adding a set of stairs so that access to the swing set is quick and easy. In my daydream there are lots of flowerpots with an array of gorgeous colors accenting and softening the hardscape.

I ponder if we can do all this by ourselves, plan and plant our huge bare landscape.... or do we need to call a landscaper to get a design. Well, then maybe the landscaper could plant the beds too.... And then somehow in my musings dollar signs start interfering. $$$ $$$ I try to get back to my previous thoughts hoping the mowers rhythmic sounds will take me back.... but the dollar signs and landscaping company won't go away. I begin to doubt we could do it without such services. And I remember that we are saving every penny for an international adoption. No, landscaping is not exactly in the budget this year... or next year for that matter.

My mowing is done and as I look around, nothing has changed.... but it sure was a nice daydream! :-)

No comments: