Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Finally! Pictures of $10 Bookcase

I was away for a few days...so I am finally able to post some pictures of the bookcase, and some cute things I found at Hobby Lobby, to decorate it with! I went into Hobby Lobby as one of my last stops last Wednesday evening. It was about 20 minutes before they closed. I came across some awesome accents for my boys room. Very unique, vintage with a scrapbook kind of a feel. So, I picked them up not even caring what they cost. (I can do this impulse thing, it isn't often, but when I see something I love, and it isn't real expensive, then I'll probably get it). Anyway, it wasn't until I got home that I noticed that every single item I bought was 50% off! WOW!!! It's funny because when the cashier told me the price I momentarily thought, that wasn't bad....but because they were closing I was in a hurry to get out of there. So...another great deal!

Here are a few photos of the bookcase and the accents I put on them. The space in the middle of the top of the bookcase is left for some lamp that I have yet to find. I decided since I found all this cool sport accent stuff, that I will not do the lamp in a sport motif.... too much.....and will just get it in a solid color to go along with the quilts. Doesn't the finish on the bookcase come awfully close to the finish on the headboard? That is hard to find...


Here are some closeups of the sports balls and picture frames. My kids photos are not in there yet....and it will probably take me several months to get that done.... lol!



This one is my favorite baseball photo frame. Now if I could just snap a picture of my son diving to catch the ball like that! Maybe I could leave it in there and we could pretend it was him!! :o)


One final picture of the grouping and the bookcase. I want to add some books and of course the lamp...but I am happy with it for now. This room has become one of my favorite rooms in our house. I love to walk by in the morning and just admire our handiwork. (I know I'm probably weird). :o)


We also replaced the ceiling fan with one from our downstairs family room. It works so well up there. the only thing that is a problem is when it is one a high speed it rocks rather badly. It is definitely a balance issue and so we will have to research how to solve that problem. It did this even in the family room (though not to the degree). Here is a photo of the fan (before and after).



Now doesn't that look better?



The final things for the room to finish it off... are pictures for the walls. I have a few, and I have some baseball jerseys to hang if I like the look.... I guess I'll get to those last finishes when I feel like it. Pulling the finishing touches together is not my forte, and so it rarely gets done. I am proud I was able to pull together what I did, and if those pictures go up, I'll be really impressed!

Our next project that we are anticipating starting in a few weeks is the boys bathroom. It's currently painted a bright dark aqua blue and the cabinets are just a very worn oak. The light fixtures are round globes from the 80's and the sink faucets are also 80's. There is a linoleum in the bathroom that I don't care for, but I have seen dh replace linoleum before and it did not go well. So this one I may have to leave alone and just cover it up. I'm planning on painting the boys cabinets creamy white, which will be a lot of work. So, come along on the next project starting soon!



3 comments:

jeannie said...

You only paid 10.00 for that, you got a steal. The whole room is coming together so nicely..
BYW, how are you.. Seems like ages since I have talked you.

Susan said...

How VERY nice!! And since I seem to have a suggestion for most things, have you tried all these things to stop the wobble...
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=740357

:o)

Mama Fish said...

Jeannie- I am fine...busy with school this summer and getting paperwork toegther for the adoption. But I bet not as busy as you! Hope to see you soon!

Susan- LOL! You cracked me up... but I am thankful for the website and your suggestions! :-)