Sunday, September 9, 2007

Unexpected Surprises....

I guess remodeling can be like that sometimes, an unexpected surprise. Perhaps not exactly what you were planning on working on, but all of a sudden something needs your attention.....you know those breakdowns that are so unplanned....ours just happens to be a big one.... the garage doors. UGH! They are wooden and are falling apart. I'm not sure if the people who lived here before us never used them, or if it's just time for them to "go", but it's gotta happen. They are literally cracked and splitting apart at the seams. It's a safety issue and a water damage issue, and it has to be remedied.

Yes, part of me is quite excited about the possibility of new garage doors.... (if I don't look at the price). Both dh and I decided that we want nice doors as this is an investment in our home long term. If we ever sell, they will be a feature. And NO wood! We need durability at this house! lol! So, we unexpectedly agreed completely on a set of garage doors. In style, and windows, and everything. yeah! Now we just have to replace them...and the sooner the better. Here are the pictures of the old garage door, where it is falling apart. You can see in the second picture the water damage. The third picture shows where it is coming apart at the seams. (Dh thought I hit it with the car originally, to which I gave an emphatic "no"!)






We would like to get carriage doors for the garage. Here is a picture of what they might look like. (Not my house) I can't really find a photo of exactly what we are hoping to get. The windows are similar, but the hardware is a different shape wrought iron and has an extra plate at the bottom. The panels are slightly different as well.... but you get the idea. I guess this will have to do for now, and then I'll post photos after they are done.


***EDIT*** I'm just editing to say that I showed dh my blog entry for the day and he was laughing. I asked him, "What are you laughing at?" His response: "Safety issue, it's not a safety issue". Um... I know it doesn't look that bad, but when you raise the garage door the entire panels are splitting/pulling apart from the weight. So, I asked dh when he thought we would be getting those new garage doors we picked out. His response: "When we can afford them." So...what if they fall apart, then what. His response: Well if they fall apart, then we'll get the new garage doors, but I highly doubt they will fall apart". My response: (said very jokingly) "You never know...when you leave for work tomorrow I may start kicking in the garage door." lol! So, who knows when the garage doors will be coming? I will have to start using the front door though. ;-)

4 comments:

Mamosa said...

You're blogging again! It's been a long time.

Mama Fish said...

Thanks! It's nice to be missed!

jeannie said...

(LOL) You want me to come over when you are away and beat them in? (LOL) Then he will have to replace them.

jeannie

Anne A. said...

We have a similar old wooden garage door. I was going to say wow you have a really nice house with the photo your posted to show the garage doors you want.