Saturday, September 29, 2007

A lush green lawn...

Well, not only did I de-clutter the bedroom, but I mowed the majority of the lawn today as well. Dust was kicking up everywhere and it made it difficult to see and breath at the front part of our dirt pile... uh, I mean lawn. :0

But this is what I noticed, and I am very happy to see it. Our bermuda grass is spreading. Now let me start by saying that I have not been a fan of bermuda grass my whole life. I'm used to tall fescue grass up north. Actually our neighbors in PA had bermuda grass and I remember a patch that found it's way into our yard and grew every year bigger and bigger. To be fair there lawn was like a carpet in the summer...very beautiful. But the thing I don't care for about bermuda is how it turns brown during the winter when it becomes dormant.

Having said all that... I have to add that I am pleased the bermuda is spreading. It spread considerably throughout the whole year. I guess what I'm thinking now, is that I'll take any grass (even bermuda) over the large dirt patches that I call my yard now. The back half of the yard is mostly bermuda, and it's a dream to mow. (I'm sure it's nice to run on too). So, I keep hoping that it continues to spread next year even farther. We may even help it out by overseeding in the spring. And as to that brown dormant color, well I read that I can overseed with rye every fall, and it will green up beautifully and then die in the spring when the bermuda comes out of dormancy. (I'm not sure if I'm even going to head there...but it's an option). Right now, I'll just hope the bermuda continues to spread. Who knows...my goal of a lush lawn in 2 years may just transpire without much work at all!

No comments: