Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Door trim, window trim and quilts...

Today I ran to Lowe's after the ballgame to get some wood trim for the boys bedroom. Now remember, I wanted that cottage trim so badly..., however when dh put it up around all the doors and window, I just didn't like it. It looked like someone had tacked scrap pieces of wood around. It also didn't compliment the crown moulding very well. SO, I decided that we will just use the trim that was originally around the doors. I don't mind it too terribly, and it will save us much money in the long run, as we won't have to replace it throughout the house. The window trim will be a different trim, and that is proving to be a tougher decision. It was the window trim that dh and I have never really liked, so we will be redoing this (once I find what I like). I may have to post pictures of each trim, so that I can get opinions.

I promised dh that I would make a decision by the weekend, so that he can finish the room. He just wants to "get it done", as he said to me yesterday. I completely understand, I want that room finished too. Feels like we've been working on it forever. I can't wait to be able to pull the finished room together, even if I don't have a nightstand yet. And speaking of finished rooms, I have two quilts for the boys beds....I have had them on a rocking chair in the spare bedroom that the boys currently occupy. When I grabbed a quilt to check colors in the room etc, I noticed a small drop of blood right in the center. It's pretty small, about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil. I'm sure it's from one of the many scrapes they get playing football, or biking, skateboarding whatever... It's right in the middle, of a cream swatch of the fabric. Any suggestions for getting blood out without ruining, fading or bleaching the colors? It's got some red quilt squares and I wouldn't want the red to run and turn the quilt pink. It would have to be right smack in the middle of the quilt, which lays right in the middle of the bed, so you'd be sure to notice it. And even if you didn't notice it..... I would notice it. So, I have to try to get it out. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
I've used OxiClean with great success. It has gotten grass stains and blood out of clothing for us. I'd buy the spray and the powder. Spray directly on the stain and let it sit for no more than an hour. Then, I'd put it in the washing machine with cold water with at least 2-3 scoops of the powder. I'd let that sit for about 3-5 hours, depending on how bad the stain is. Then wash as normal. If that doesn't get the stain completely out, then I'd repeat the steps once more, but you should see a dramatic improvement, if it isn't gone completely. It may also depend on how long the stain has been there. Good luck!

Susan said...

Hydrogen peroxide will take the blood out....and yes I'm serious! ;o)

Mama Fish said...

Okay, I have Oxiclean here at home, but I have never used it. (dh has though). LOL! I will first try the peroxide very lightly on the small stain. I'll resort to the Oxiclean and washing if the peroxide doesn't work. Have I mentioned these are brand new quilts, not hardly used on the boys beds at all? It figures. ;o)