Sunday, May 13, 2007

Still working.....

I haven't had an update to post in a couple of days.... we've actually been focused on the outside of our house lately. Trimming back the cottage roses, and weeding around the pansies and daylilies. The liriope is doing okay, but I probably should have trimmed it back again after that April cold snap. The crape myrtles are also slowly coming back with new growth. We still need to mulch everywhere...so many projects so little time. ;-)

My friend Jeannie asked what our next project is after the boys room. Well, I've been thinking about that. We have some maintenance issues to deal with concerning our landscaping. So we will have to handle some outside things first, but then I was considering renovating the boys bathroom. This should be a good before and after. The wall color is bright blue, and the cabinets are a worn oak, that have seen better days. I was originally thinking of painting the cabinets creamy white, but then I saw some painted black, and I thought it looked rather sharp. I may paint mine black and the boys the white. Dh says we need to hold off on our bathroom, as replacing the fixtures will be expensive. We will start the boys bathroom, and I plan on pricing some fixtures I saw at Southeastern Salvage. Hopefully I'll find a great deal!

We are still working on the trim around the boys room. Dh has cut it all, and it is primed. He has it on the wall (tacked up) so I could take a look at it... I'm not sure I love it. That's not a very good first reaction if you remember from my previous post. It's really simple, and while I do like that, our house just doesn't lend itself to that much of an era change. I think we will try to add a little more detailed trim on top of each header. I saw some doors and window trim in an old Home magazine I have (from 2004), and we may try to mimick it. What am I doing with a Home magazine from 2004? I pretty much save all home decorating and remodeling magazines.... unless they are way out of style. I have some from 2001 still. :-) I found some vintage suitcases a few years ago that are the perfect storage spot for my magazines.

I've also been on the hunt for some type of night table or small bookcase to place between my children's beds. I haven't found what I am looking for yet though. I know I could find it at a new furniture store, but I refuse to pay a high price for it. I went today to a furniture outlet and saw a very simple one with a price tag of $175! Yikes!! I'm on the hunt for something around $40 or less. Where we used to live, they had an awesome furniture consignment store, and I would always find stuff for the house there. Maybe I'll find some furniture items at a yard sale.....I plan on making this a regular activity soon!

2 comments:

Susan said...

It sounds like you have a long list of "to do" projects...like me! I immediately said "uh oh" when I read that you weren't exactly happy with the trim. It will be fun to read how it all turns out. :o)

jeannie said...

You sound like a bargin HUNTER... I am ready for the Yard Sale caravan one Sat. Lets do it soon before All Stars start or I wont be able too. & I want too