Saturday, April 14, 2007

Where is the Rain????

I am so bummed! I can't even believe it. It is not raining! Come on, it said 100% chance! How often do you see that? Unbelievable! So dh just left for ds2's ball game, and I am home with a sore throat from freezing at several of his previous games. The room is in demolition mode. Unfortunately it looks like it will stay there for some time. BTW- I really do seem to set unrealistic goals, which annoys dh to no end. Me: I was hoping to get the entire bedroom done this weekend. DH: You're crazy. Of course this sparked a seemingly never ending debate on realistic and unrealistic remodeling goals. Ay yi yi... no wonder we haven't remodeled in awhile. :)
Here are some photos of the closet area pre-demolition. As you can see the right hand closet has a large heating/cooling duct that takes up half the space. You'd think the builders would have thought of that when they framed everything. Anyway....the closets were just not working, hard to organize, and not user friendly. So dh has taken out the closet doors, molding and framework. He cut into the drywall to the left, shortening the distance between the closet doors. he will then move the framework over, drywall to cover the air duct, re-install the closet frame etc.

Here is a photo of the demolition. (See what I mean about 1/2 the closet being unusable?) The one problem that we will have is the carpet. Moving the closet door over, left a section of floor where there is no carpet. DH said, we can't just throw a piece in there, as you can't "plug" carpet. He wanted to do something with carpet and a threshhold, but I didn't like that much. We came to an agreement to put wood laminate like Pergo or something just in the closet. We'll try to get some at southeastern salvage inexpensively. Eventually I would love to put hardwood all upstairs, but dh said "no way".

Here is another photo the closet. As you can see it sits behind the bedroom door, and there is a dresser in front of it. Hopefully when dh is finished the dresser will sit in front of the drywall, and the closet door will open all the way to a fully usable closet. And one more look at that demo'ed closet. The space from the wood frame in the middle to the white wall on the right (duct) is all the space ds2 had to hang clothes.


4 comments:

Susan said...

Does dh not want to patch the carpet or does he not know how? I'm asking because this article tells you how....
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_floors_carpets_rugs/article/0,1797,HGTV_3709_1394749,00.html

Susan (if he gets mad about it don't tell him who told you!) LOL

Mama Fish said...

Susan- That is awesome! DH said that the scrap of carpet he has is not big enough...but I am frugal, I'll find a piece that will work! What a great diy article, complete with pictures! Thanks!!

Susan said...

I guess that it's a sign that I've watched way too many diy shows!! I knew I had seen someone do it. :o)

jeannie said...

When I woke up on Sat. I looked outside & NO RAIN. I was looking forward to day with out games too...
You are taking on a big project, I would start something like this and NOT get it done...