Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Frustrated.....!!!

Good grief, I am so frustrated today! It is just not coming together....and I know I haven't posted a picture yet, but it looks awful. Here is the deal. Yes, the faucets and light fixtures are up, and they look quite good. Yes, I have mentioned that before. I do like the satin nickel finish. I think the oil rubbed bronze would look better, but I am not willing to change out everything all over the house. I'm just not really willing to do that, or put out that expense. We have a lot of light fixtures that are the brushed nickel, and I just don't want to swap it all out. Having said that here are the problems I have.... and I may get brave enough to post a picture.

1. The cabinets are too white. The vanity top is some bisque color and it would be set off the best with oil rubbed bronze. But as I mentioned before I'm not willing to do that across the whole house. Sooo.... the problem is that the cabinets seem to be just suspended in air. Nothing is grounding anything or complementing the warmth of the shower curtain. What exactly does that mean for me? Well it could mean that I have to stain the cabinets mahogony, or try to faux replicate that with paint. I'm not too thrilled with doing that, based on my reason #2 below.

2. I applied my faux finish to the mirror last evening. I knew it was too shiny and knew I would need to antique it with a black antiquing glaze. But even so, dh took it up to the bathroom, so I could get an idea of how much to do. It looks awful! Really, I do mean awful! (Dh thought it looked great, bless his heart.) It is such a cool color ( as in not warm), that once again, it look completely out of place in the bathroom. It's like the only thing with warm tones in there is the shower curtain. I have no idea what I was thinking....
Editing to add: I just pulled photos of the mirror off my camera so I could look at it on the larger computer monitor. It really is not a good paint job. At all.....

So, I have a few options: One will definitely be painting the mirror to a different color. If nothing else is done that will be done! I think it would have been easy to change or remodel a bathroom if I could just pick a vanity, and pick a vanity top, change the shower, and re-do the floor etc. Pick exactly what I need, cost not really being an issue. But this is what we try to do, mainly based on necessity.... we remodel on a shoestring budget. We will re-use pieces of furniture, or cabinets or whatever, but trying to make it look good can be really frustrating. (Which is where I am now). So, I have no idea what I'm going to do. This is when I wish I had a friend who could come over and tell me.... oh you definitely need to go this way with it...or that way.... sigh sigh sigh. I am so feeling the time crunch on this one.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie--Been there. So that this is so frustrating! If you post a few pictures and ask folks on the Houseblogs.net discussion board to weigh in, I'll bet someone has an idea for a secret painting trick or some such that could help.