Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Picture Update.....

Okay, I'm going to post some pictures of my current disaster now. I guess I'll first post the items I like, and then go on to the stuff I messed up.

These are the light fixtures. I love the brushed nickel and the white globes. I also love the shape of the metal. I'm happy with that. (you can just see in this picture the top of the mirror frame, and how the bronze in no way matches the satin nickel.)



This the the satin nickel faucet from SE Salvage. It does have a hint of yellow undertones, that is for sure.... but the mirror behind it is bronze and so a lot of that is reflected in the metal. It does not look this brassy in real life. I figured they are far enough away from the light fixtures that, while not an exact match, are close enough.


Here is a shot of the three of them and the shower curtain. The bronze does however warm up the space and brings out the colors of the shower curtain nicely. But you can also see the white cabinets and they are too white in my opinion.

Finally a photo of the mirror re-done in a silver finish. Please remember that I didn't put the antiquing glaze on this to tone it down, so it does look very silvery..... If you notice this picture vs the one above.... the colors in the shower curtain, are just blah.... (this photo). I think the silver doesn't go with anything in the room.... It isn't the direction I wanted to go, but somehow I found myself there.


Basically, my opinion as I look at the room, is that it needs warmth...in natural wood tones. I know I said, light and airy, but it isn't yurning out so well.... :-) So, those are the photos so far. I was talking to dh this evening...and he was so surprised that I didn't like the bathroom. He isn't upset, actually he recognized that I'm more upset by my mistake than he was. He is totally willing to re-do the bathroom cabinets. That means stripping them, and then staining them a mahogany color. I think the plan is to attempt a mahogany faux finish on the mirror. I think that will help and with the mahogany base, I can use brushed nickel hardware.

I had one other idea as I look at these pictures, to possibly salvage all the work. I suppose I could paint the cabinets more of a cream color and paint the mirror the same. It's a bit more feminine than I would like, but it is cottage airy. The thought I have as I look at this, is the shower curtain is cottage like and the mirror is not. But how do you marry the two?

If anyone has any other thoughts...or links on faux finishing to look like mahogany, please pass them along. I did find a link recently on houseblogs on how to strip paint. It was a great little tutorial that someone showed on stripping an old door using a heat gun. So, I'm going to try to find that one in the multitude of blogs.

I guess I feel better. On one blog I read recently, someone talked about using photoshop to see how your room would look before you do anything. That's obviously a tool I need. Even now to see how it would look with dark cabinets and mirror vs light. I'm so thankful for my dh. No matter what happens in my design faux pas.... he is totally willing to go back and get it the way I want it. Why I always have to learn lessons the hard way, I'll never know.....

6 comments:

Susan said...

I wish I had some ideas but alas a decorator I am not. ;o) Now if you need some help googling something, I'm right there for ya!! :o)

Unknown said...

I'm not much of a designer either but I do think your idea to repaint the cabinets sounds good. I love the shower curtain.

Anonymous said...

Is the blue on the countertop edge painter's tape?

If so, and if your venture into cream color isn't satisfactory, I wonder if a red to match the color in your shower curtain might be worth considering?

A distressed or crackle finish would do the cottage theme well, though I'm not sure how it'd fly with the existing countertop.

Mama Fish said...

Kate H.- Yes it is blue painters tape. :-) You know, I re-read your comment, and that is a really good idea! I never even considered red before, but I really like that idea. Hmmm.... I will try the cream, but I'm keeping the red in mind. I will say, that the cream is 1/2 on now, and my eye is drawn away from the cabinets, and to everything above them, so that is a good thing. Time will tell....and accessories will help! Thanks for the input!

Unknown said...

The mirror frame silvery look is EXACTLY what I'd like to achieve on my wife's mirror frame. Could you give a quick rundown/recommendation on the process and the materials / paints used? I am in awe of that look. Congrats.

rick

Mama Fish said...

Rick- Thanks for stopping by my blog!... though I've been away from it for a few months.... here is what I can tell you about the mirror... I used a foam brush (small task brush) that I found at Michael's craft store. I also got the silvery finish paint there.... It's called Dazzling Metallics by DecoArt and the color is shimmering silver. I just brushed it on with long strokes, so that you couldn't see much of an overlap. Sort of like trial and error....I hope that helps you with your wife's mirror. :-)